The ability to manage stress is central to the maintenance of mental health, and personal wellbeing. In order to avoid the insomnia, intense paranoia, and the teasing 4 am internal dialogues, we must remember to laugh. To truly appreciate the fleeting nature of happiness and to fully live in those precious moments, it becomes necessary to likewise appreciate the constructive nature of unhappiness. Without Bad Memes, we would be unable to appreciate Dank Memes, and without Normies there would be no Bois. The true nature of life can and should be interpreted through MeMes (5/10 Doctor’s agree).
As Stress = Bad, here are a few methods employed by yours truly to help with that.
1. Alcohol: lots of it. If you think you had enough, even after a few close calls on the cliffs just know this … ur weak mate, gotta drank more chief
(but really, you might want to cut down on that and maybe hit the gym or something)
2. Kidnapping: (consent encouraged beforehand) a great team building activity, filled with fun for the whole family, even mom. What’s better than the balaclava bois annual tradition? (bonus points if you make your own masks)
3. SCREECHING: (REeeeeEEeeee) catharsis at its finest
4. Liking my mEme page: an instant cure for all symptoms of depression and social anxieties
5. Praise Odin: paying homage to the shapeless one, banisher of Frost Giants and wandering Boi
6. Fighting Bureaucracy and Institutional Cronyism: results may vary
7. Girls: *Borat Voice* ‘Itss a Verry Nice!’
8. Treat urself B4 u YeeeT urself: coffees are pretty good (if you’re not banned from Starbucks)
9. The Bois: be friends with people who genuinely want the best for you, and will help when you need it. Relationships are reciprocal in nature – gotta watch out for the Bois
10. Family: if you have one, hit them up (slide into grandmas Dm’s yo)
A Very Solemn Summary
In all seriousness, the inability to properly regulate stress can have a detrimental effect on an individual’s physical and mental health. In times of heightened stress, it is, therefore, crucial to maintain a healthy level of physical activity, while also maintaining contact with your support networks. Exercise causes the brain to produce more feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins, and helps with sleep. For most, movement is central to maintaining a good quality of life, as it serves as both a distraction and physiological pick me up. Periods of stagnation should be avoided as much as humanly possible, as just like a pool of stagnant water, inactivity serves as a breeding ground for negative emotion if used incorrectly. We must actively set and accomplish goals in order to stay sane. Increased involvement in sports, social groups, academia, and work serve as great distractions and prevent stagnation. Additionally, it is good to maintain a positive outlook, and to believe in the possibility of positive change.
To quote Tolstoy, ‘one must believe in the possibility of happiness in order to be happy’. Sometimes life’s great, and other times you find yourself sleeping next to a washing machine on a pillow of yesterday’s clothes trying to fall asleep as the floor rumbles. But the main point is that due to the inevitable nature of progression, everything good and bad is temporary and will change if given time. Sometimes it really do be like that.